In this episode
When I wanted to curb my habit of interrupting my husband, I turned to an old rubber band trick for practicing the replacement behavior (wait until he finishes his sentence, count to two, then speak) enough to make it stick. Here are the simple instructions and some uses.
Examples of behaviors you can practice with this method
- Practicing the 90-second relationship rule when you walk through the door after work each day
- Biting your tongue instead of verbalizing criticism automatically
- Practicing a silent pause for 10 seconds instead of responding when you’ve been sucked into bickering
- Playing the “as if” game with yourself when you need to change your mood
- Resisting the temptation to take constant notes if you’re a mediator