Good negotiators know this secret: Persuade with your ears, not your mouth.
Instead of trying to persuade by telling and then telling some more, lead with your curiosity. Good negotiators listen for:
- The reasons behind their position.
- What they care about most.
- Ways you can help them get more of what they care most about.
- The standards they use to judge the quality of your offer.
- Why what you’re proposing isn’t resonating.
Practice in low-stakes situations every day in order to master your listening skills and be better able to listen well in high-stakes situations. Build muscle memory for when you need it most. You become a good negotiator with regular practice.