Some of the most common questions I’m asked by new mediators and would-be mediators is how to find good mediation training. Since mediation training comes in many flavors and from trainers with wildly varying skill, I’ve finally taken the time to share my four cents.
In my Candid Guide to Getting Great Mediation Training, I discuss the following questions and how they help you be an informed consumer.
Questions to ask yourself first
- Why do I want mediation training
- How will I use this mediation training?
- Is it more important that I get easy training or useful training?
Questions to ask the mediation trainer
- You say this training will make me a certified mediator. What do you mean by that, exactly?
- Where can I get mediation experience after this training…specifically?
- Will those places allow me to mediate with the number of hours this mediation training provides?
- What is your approach to training (lecture, roleplays, etc)?
- What “school” of mediation do you train in and why?
- Do you mediate as well as train? How long have you been mediating? Tell me all about it…
Read more at the Candid Guide to Getting Great Mediation Training.